Saturday, April 16, 2011

RORY MCILROY SHARES LEAD WITH ALEXANDER NOREN AT THE MAYBANK MALAYSIAN OPEN 2011


Rory McIlroy in action at MMO 2011



Kuala Lumpur, 15 April 2011 - World number nine Rory McIlroy lit up the Maybank Malaysian Open with a sensational eight-under-par 64 in the second round to hold the joint clubhouse lead with Alexander Noren at the Kuala Lumpur Golf & Country Club.

The 21-year McIlroy, who has a two-day total of 11-under-par 133, took full advantage of ideal scoring conditions with an outward 31 before adding three more birdies coming home.

"I hit the ball well and gave myself chances and made some putts. 11-under after two days here is a great effort considering I've travelled so far and not seeing the course. I'm happy with how I played. The greens were a little better this morning for us - we were the first ones on them. I started well. I was five under through nine and kept it going on my second nine. Would have been nice to have hold that putt on the last but I'm in a great position going into the weekend."

Overnight leader, Noren, let the humidity get the better of him as he bogeyed the 15th Hole, Par 3 of the KLGCC West Course to produce a round of three-under-par 69 at the USD2.5 million event which is co-sanctioned by the Asian Tour and European Tour.

"I had great 14-holes but the heat got to me because it was so hot and I was just counting how many holes I had left. I started very nicely and hit two greens on the par fives in two and made easy birdies. It was fun."

England's Simon Dyson who beat McIlroy at the 2009 Alfred Dunhill Links Championship, matched McIlroy’s stunning round with a 64 to move up to third, one shot back.

"I played good. I wasn't feeling my best yesterday and went back to my room and straight to bed. I woke up this morning and felt better again and managed to get it going with eight birdies and no bogeys. I'm really pleased with that."

Malaysia's Danny Chia carded a one-under-par to tie at 42nd position with the likes of Mardan Mamat and Alastair Forsyth with five-holes remaining. He is currently the best scoring Malaysian going into the weekend.

Ben Leong, who did well in the first round, failed to continue his rhythm as he sunk four-bogeys in the second round for a three-over-par before play was suspended due to darkness.

Malaysia's amateur golfer, Chan Tuck Soon, who produced a one-under-par in the first round, crashed in the second round. Chan marked three bogeys, one double bogey and a triple bogey for a combined total of four-over-par 148.

Round two of the Maybank Malaysian Open 2011 was suspended at 3:37pm due to lightning and play resumed at 6:15pm without any changes atop the leader board. Play was suspended again at 7:16pm due to darkness. 77 players did not complete round two and will continue tomorrow at 7.40 am.

Making history as the first ever co-sanctioned tournament in Asia by both the European and Asian Tours in 1999, the Maybank Malaysian Open 2011 will feature top players from the rankings of both these world-leading circuits to make up the 156-player line-up.

Points earned at the Maybank Malaysian Open 2011 will go towards the Asian Tour Order of Merit, and will also add to the player's 2011 Race to Dubai Ranking, granting them a chance to qualify for the season-ending Dubai World Championship.

The 50th edition of the Maybank Malaysian Open will see a dazzling display of golf as our Malaysian professionals compete with some of the world's best players for the championship title. With a USD 2.5 million prize purse up on offer, spectators can expect an exciting tournament this April. The four-day co-sanctioned event will take place at the West Course of the Kuala Lumpur Golf and Country Club from 14th - 17th April 2011.

Link : http://www.mgaonline.com.my/articledetail.asp?id=3169

No comments:

Post a Comment